Championing our cross- and mixed-breeds!
Owning a cross breed or mixed breed dog has never been so popular and they make equally wonderful companions as pure-breed dogs.
Here are 5 facts that you may not know about them...
1. A cross breed is a dog that contains the characteristics of two breeds...mostly deliberately achieved. A mixed breed is a dog containing more than two breeds.
2. The Cockapoo remains the most popular of the cross breeds, with the labradoodle and the puggle also amongst our favourites.
3. Some unusual crossbreeds are: BaShar (Bassett Hound x Shar-Pei), Beaglier (Beagle x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel), Golden Dox (Golden Retriever x Dachshund) and Bullmation (Bulldog x Dalmatian)
4. The ‘Double Doodle’ (Goldendoodle x Labradoodle) is listed in List 25’s 25 Most Expensive Dog Breeds in the World at roughly $1,900
5. Celebrity Paul O’Grady, known for his tireless work for animal charities owned a Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise cross called Buster. O’Grady’s second volume of his autobiography was dedicated to Buster (source: Wikipedia)
Here are some cross and mixed breed dogs I have met recently:
1. Poppy an apricot Cockapoo
2. Jeffrey, a Staffie/Springer cross with A LOT of energy!
3. Parsnip, a Royal Frenchelle (French Bulldog x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel)
4. Mitzy, a Cavachon (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Bichon Frise)
5. Basil, a rescue Labrador cross, with an excellent catch!
Ruby, a terrier cross who I met out on a walk